Monday, May 11, 2009
Where do you go from here?
First of all, I want to say a Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing women in my life. Mom, Ma, Meme, Sara, Melanie, Tonya, Ashley, Elizabeth (soon to be), Grandma G, Grandma, D, Karin, Amber, Charis, Kim. It is because of you ladies that I want to be a Mom. You all have been incredible examples for me and those around you. But while I know that Mother's Day is about celebrating and cherishing the mothers that are special to me, it was a pretty difficulty day for me. We just had a 3 year anniversary of infertility, and so it hit me extra hard this year that I might not ever be a Mom. I might not ever get that honor, and I might have to settle for just being an aunt (which I love, but it's not the same). I think that is part of the reason that I love my nieces and nephews so much because they are all I have. I have this idea in my head that a family is a mom, dad and kids. I don't know anyone that I can think of that is married and doesn't have kids (unless they are newly married, or just don't want them right now). But you grow up being surrounded by the idea that you get married, have kids, raise them, etc so how does that work when you're infertile and you might not have kids. I don't know how to change my idea of family from mom, dad and kids, to just husband and wife. I think becoming a Mom is part of an identity for me, and I don't know how to seperate that, and just get on with my life. Yes, I realize that there are other options like adoption or IVF, but right now those aren't really an option for us. So these are my thoughts. I don't reach out and talk about my feelings much, but I really have no idea where to go from here so I just wanted to get the thoughts down on paper or blog, whatever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I will put your FAMILY in my prayers...
Thank you for sharing! Very touching! You are in our prayers!
I love you and remember what I said.
Love you guys! Like I told you before, my Aunt & Uncle tried for 7 years (with no explanation) and then had 3 kids...sometimes its just all in God's hands...as hard as that can be. Keep your pretty little head up.
Love you Summer and Josh. papa and ma
You're beautiful and whole as a woman, and I really look forward to watching our kids play together. When you lose hope we are all still here hoping and praying for you. Love love... see you soon!
I love you and I wish I could fix it all but God's plan is so much better than mine could ever be.
Summer, you and josh are always in our prayers. We love you so very much and know that the Lord has wonderful things in store for your family.
Summer - This is Kim Cone (Kim Kreyling from Berry College) I found your blog through a blog of a blog of a friend of our......I was blog surfing today. We are friends with Katie Cottle and I was looking through her list of blogs and came across Stephanie Harper's page and then I saw Gernatt Family. I clicked on it and it was you and Josh....Small World! It must have been meant to be because then I read your post about Mother's Day and got all teared up. I feel your pain and it is nothing anyone ever wants to go through. Lance and I also had fertility issues and it was so hard on the both of us. It is especially hard when all your friends and family are having babies with no problems. It strengthened us as a couple, but it was so hard! I thought of family like you and could not imagine not being a mom. It is so hard to understand that God has a plan for you, but know that he does. God just blessed us with our first baby one month ago. It was a day I thought would never come, but it finally did. We will keep you and Josh in our prayers. I just wanted you to know that I read your blog and I will be praying for you. I was tearing up when I read your blog, because I know how painful it is to go through what you and Josh are going through. Stay strong and know that God has a plan for you both that is going to be worth the wait. Our blog is:
http://lanceandkimberlycone.blogspot.com if you want to keep in touch with us. My email is: kimberlycone@comcast.net Sorry for the long comment, I just felt I had to say something since we have been there. Let me know if you need anything.
Love,
Kim
I thought about you a lot leading up to mother's day. I don't "know" how you feel but I figured it would suck. (pardon the crude language). I actually think about you a lot and like that we share a love for our nieces (and nephews for you). You are awesome Summer (and Josh) :)
i'm not sure if you remember me but i'm a friend of stephanie harpers. i have a beautiful little boy but we're over the 2 year mark on baby #2. so although i can't relate to this post, i do understand the pain of infertility. there are alot of women out there in the blog world in your shoes. i would love to introduce you to some if you want. maybe they have some insight that the rest of us do not
Post a Comment